WARNING: Do not cite this page as a reference. This page is on this wikispace only to make the content "searchable" and easier to find. If you find the information you seek here, go to the original sources to verify the information and use them for your documentation.
Period rolls of arms aka armorials and period heraldic treatises are available on-line more and more.
Collections and Search Programs
- Riestap's Armorial Généralisn't period, but is one of the most complete sources of blazonry covering some 130,000 heraldic families. http://www.euraldic.com/lasu/bl/bl_a_aa.html
- An Annotated List of Period Armorials Available Online - http://coblaith.net/Heraldry/Armorials/default.html
- Search for interoperable IIIF-compliant manuscripts and rare books dated before 1800 coming from many digital libraries in the world...
- "Period Rolls of Arms" - http://www.yehudaheraldry.com/rolls/index.php/roll_c/rolls
- "Period Rolls of Arms and Armorials (and how to find them)" - http://heraldry.sca.org/laurel/periodrolls.html
- Academy of St. Gabriel "Medieval Heraldry Archive - http://www.s-gabriel.org/heraldry/
Links to On-line Rolls of Arms - http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/Stars/Rolls_of_Arms.html
- Gunvor silfraharr says: I always recommend going after the files once downloaded with Adobe Acrobat and removing the blank pages. Considering that folks might not be able to hit the original links, or don't have a full copy of Acrobat, I went ahead and zipped up the various PDFs I've already downloaded and trimmed for those who need that help. The files are chunked into ZIPs about 200MB each. The filenames are self-explanatory once you unzip the file, and the links to the original location can all be seen at the link above.
- Assorted: http://www72.zippyshare.com/v/97295430/file.html
- Iberian: http://www63.zippyshare.com/v/60851917/file.html
- English: http://www54.zippyshare.com/v/12720978/file.html
- German 1: http://www57.zippyshare.com/v/54755575/file.html
- German 2: http://www48.zippyshare.com/v/56697881/file.html
- German 3: http://www57.zippyshare.com/v/50012238/file.html
- German 4: http://www28.zippyshare.com/v/3949106/file.html
- German 5: http://www1.zippyshare.com/v/20837689/file.html
- German 6: http://www23.zippyshare.com/v/69383832/file.html
- Italian 1: http://www26.zippyshare.com/v/94670243/file.html
- Italian 2: http://www72.zippyshare.com/v/75996480/file.html
- Italian 3: http://www32.zippyshare.com/v/83698757/file.html
- Italian 4: http://www19.zippyshare.com/v/80912063/file.html
- Italian 5: http://www38.zippyshare.com/v/47437419/file.html
- Italian 6: http://www41.zippyshare.com/v/19517002/file.html
- http://de.szlachta.wikia.com/wiki/Heraldische_Quellenlinks_Bayerische_Staatsbibliothek (links to the many heraldic codexes at the Bayerischen Staatsbibliothek)
- Armorial Bellenville is a late 14th C armorial with about 1700 coats of arms and some crests. It covers much of Europe, and it has a high degree of overlap with the armory in Armorial Gelre.
- Armorial de Gelre// was compiled between 1370 and 1414. It contains some 1700 coats of arms (and some crests) from almost the entirety of Europe. Site with modern blazons (pictures) to go with the period emblazons (descriptions) - http:www.heraldique-europeenne.org/Armoriaux/Gelre/Partie_VI.htm
- Grand Armorial Equestre de la Toison d'Or// is a 15th C armorial covering most of Europe, with a concentration on the continent. It contains over 1000 coats of arms and some fine heraldic equestrian figures. http:''expositions.bnf.fr/livres/armorial/index.htm
- L'armorial Le Breton is a collection of armorials from the 15th -16th C, which were bound together and in the possession of Hector Le Breton, Montjoie King of Arms of France. It contains a photofacsimile of over 900 coats of arms, many of which are French.
- Wapenboek Beyerin// - early 1400s Dutch armorial with some 1096 arms. []
- Universeel Wapenboek - c. 1558 - courtesy of the Koninklijk Instituut voor het Kunstpatrimonium (Royal Institute for Cultural Heritage)[]
England and Wales
- Anglo-Norman Armory Two is an ordinary to twenty-five rolls of arms compiled from 1250 to 1315, covering 3000 coats of arms. The artwork in the ...volume is modern.
- Book of English heraldry, Walters Manuscript W847, (1589 CE, England) - http://www.thedigitalwalters.org/Data/WaltersManuscripts/html/W847/
- Brian Timms' rendition of the Caerlaverock Poem arms - []
- Brian Timms rendition of Falkirk Roll - []
- The Rous Roll, c. 1483 at the British Library (link to images is about 2/3 down the page) - http://www.bl.uk/manuscripts/FullDisplay.aspx?ref=Add_MS_48976
- 'Jenyn's Roll of Arms, 15th cent. Ordinary available at []
- Insignia Anglica - BSB Cod.icon. 291, England, 16th Cent. - []
- Guillim's A Display of Heraldry available at 1611 Tract )
- Hepburn Heraldic Manuscript, Sp Coll Hepburn q23, c1625 - http://special.lib.gla.ac.uk/exhibns/month/feb2008.html
- Dictionary of British Arms (aka Papworth), 4 volumes - http://www.oapen.org/search?keyword=Dictionary+of+British+arms
- Armorial de la Flandre Wallonne dit de La Marche de Lille is a roll assembled between 1543-1544 what is now Northern France/southern Belgium, but was at the time a part of Flanders. It includes a color photofacsimile of 288 coats of arms (264 on shields, 24 on banners) from the (heraldic administrative) Marche of Lille (which included the towns of Lille, Douai and Orchies.)
- L'Armorial de Heraut Gueldre in Oeuvres de Froissart. Chroniques. Tom 23. With index/tracings of period arms - http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k38944m/f469.image
- Brian Timms' version of L'Armorial Wijnbergen - http://brian-timms.webplus.net/page24.html,
- 15th c. Armorial de Gilles Le Bouvier, FRANCAIS 4985 - http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/Stars/15th_c._Armorial_de_Gilles_Le_Bouvier_MSS_FRANCAIS_4985.htm
- c.1475-1475 Armorial et traité d'héraldique, FRANCAIS 24381 - http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/Stars/1475-1475_FRANCAIS_24381.htm
- Faucket Commonplace Book on Heraldry - late 15th century by Jean Faucket. Beinecke MS 648. http://orbexpress.library.yale.edu/vwebv/holdingsInfo?bibId=9615810
- Recueil d'Armoiries Coloriées pour Servir à Connaître le Blason, 16th c., ARS MS 5026 (Collection of Colored Arms to be Used in Learning Heraldry) - http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/Stars/16th%20c._ARS_MS_5026.htm
Germany and Switzerland
- The Manesse Codex was written in Zurich in the first half of the 14th C. It has 137 miniatures, each of which has a portrait of one of the Minnesänger (poets) and (in most cases) his arms and crest http://www.tempora-nostra.de/manesse/manesse_start.shtml or http://digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/sammlung2/allg/cpg.xml?docname=cpg848
- Heidelberger Sachenspiegel - 14th century legal text with lots of heraldry - http://digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/diglit/cpg164
- Sammelband mehrerer Wappenbücher - BSB Cod.icon. 391 (Bayerische Staats Bibliothek) http://daten.digitale-sammlungen.de/bsb00007681/image_1
- Scheibler Armorial- BSB 312 ([] ) and on-line at the Wikimedia Commons - http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Scheibler_Armorial
- Zuricher Wappenrolle is a 14th C Swiss/German roll of arms known from later copies, with about 450 coats of arms and some additional armory depicted on standards.
- St. Gall Abbot Ulrich Rösch's book of heraldry (1462-1491), containing 1,626 coats of arms of prominent people from the laity and the clergy, mostly from the southern region of Germany. http://www.e-codices.unifr.ch/en/list/one/csg/1084
- PDFs of late-period German armorials: http://www.digitale-sammlungen.de/index.html?suchbegriff=wappenbuch&c=suchen
- Once you open one of them, switch to English with the flag icon in upper right. You can download using the 5th icon in the command bar over the document scan. The download page has a English flag icon right under the "PDF Download" heading to change language.
- Schembartbuch or Nürnberger Schembartläufe or Das Nürnbergische Schönbartbuch - 1539 - [] and [] Images of Carnival/Shrove Tuesday costumes with armory.
- Vigil Raber's Neustifter Wappenbuch aka Wappenbuch der Alberg-Brudershaft - is an armorial from 1548 containing color photofacsimile of over 1500 coats of arms. http://bilderserver.at/wappenbuecher/VirgilRaberEXAv2_52z2/
- Virgil Solis Wappenbüchlein, Nürnberg, 1555 - http://digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/diglit/solis1555
- 1567 Zacharias Bartsch, Wappen Buch Darinen aller Geistlichen Prelaten Herren vnd Landleut auch der Stett des Iöblichen Fürstenhumbs Steyer Wappen vnd Insignia - http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/Stars/1567-Zacharias_Bartsch-Wappen_Buch/index.htm
- Siebmacher's Wappenbuch is an armorial from 1605 covering Germany and neighboring areas, including portions of Silesia. It has 3400 coats of arms with associated crests. http://www.wappenbuch.de/
- Index of Siebmacher (and other 17th cent. wappenbuchs) - http://www.wappenbuch.com/
- Ordinary of Siebmacher by Sarah Uckelman (Aryanhwy merch Catmael) http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/heraldry/siebmacher/siebmacherordinary.html
- Grünenberg, Konrad:Wappenbuch - BSB Cgm 9210 ..." (1602 - 1604). - http://daten.digitale-sammlungen.de/~db/0003/bsb00034952/images/
- Triunfo del Emperador Maximiliano I, Rey de Hungría, Dalmacia y Croacia, Archiduque de Austria :... de quien están descritas y colocadas en esta colección las acciones gloriosas de S.M. Imperial, durante su vida..., 1501-1700? - http://bdh-rd.bne.es/viewer.vm?id=0000012553&page=1
- Stemmi depicts heraldic art, which performs a function similar to that of a roll of arms. This book describes 176 armorial bas relief plaques in the courtyard of the Bargello museum in Florence, Italy. The arms belonged to the individuals holding the position of Podesta at the Bargello between 1313 and 1557. ...The museum's web site is http://www.polomuseale.firenze.it/english/musei/bargello/ .
- Stemmario Trivulziano contains hundreds of arms from Milan in the mid-15th C.
- Insignia Venetorum nobilium II (A-IP) - BSB Cod.icon. 272 [S.l.] Italien 1550-1555 []
- Insignia Venetorum nobilium III (IP-Z) - BSB Cod.icon. 273, Italien, 1550-1555 -
- Insignia Veronensium nobilium XI - BSB Cod.icon 276, Italien, 1550-55 - http://daten.digitale-sammlungen.de/~db/bsb00001423/images/
- Insignia Florentinium XII - BSB Cod.icon 277, Italien, 1550-55 - http://daten.digitale-sammlungen.de/~db/bsb00001424/images/
- 1550-1555 Insignia Neapolitanorum, Genuensium - [BSB Cod.icon. 279] http://nbn-resolving.de/urn:nbn:de:bvb:12-bsb00001426-3
- The Balliol Roll is a 14th C roll containing 36 Scottish coats of arms.
- Scots Roll is a Scottish roll from the 15th C with 114 coats of arms.
- The Lindsay of the Mount roll is a Scottish roll assembled in 1542 by David Lindsay of the Mount, who shortly later became Lyon King of Arms. A few coats were added later in the 16th C. It contains over 400 coats of arms from all over Scotland (including the Highlands).
- The Dunvegan Armorial is a Scottish roll from the end of the 16th C. It contains a color photofacsimile of over 50 noble coats of arms depicted in a full achievement (with crest and supporters.) and over 200 "Gentleman's arms" (with the escutcheons only.)
- The Dublin Armorial of Scottish Nobility dates from the end of the 16th C. It contains a color photofacsimile of pages depicting the marital coats of the various Kings of Scotland (Scotland to dexter, the Queen's original arms to sinister). It also includes over 50 noble coats of arms depicted in a full achievement (with crest and supporters.) Of particular note are the achievements where the arms are shown, not on an escutcheon, but on a tabard, with the arms shown in full on the front, and half of the arms visible on each sleeve.
Spain and Portugal
- Libro de Armeria del Reino de Navarra-// a 16th C Navarrese roll containing over 700 coats of arms.
- Livro da Nobreza e Perfeicam das Armas is a Portuguese roll from the first half of the 16th C, including over 300 coats of arms.
- Armas de los Condes, Vescondes etc. de Cataluña, de Castilla, de Portugal - BSB Cod.icon. 290, Spanish, 1440-1550 - @http://tinyurl.com/Armas-de-los-Condes or
- Livro do Armeiro-Mor (//Livre du Grand Armurier) 1506- 1509. Quick reference PDF - ([] ) and full on-line version - (@http:''tinyurl.com/Livro-do-Armeiro-Mor )
- Livro da Nobreza e Perfeição das Armas, 1516-1528, quick reference PDF: http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/FTP_Files/1516-1528_Livro_da_Nobreza_e_Perfeicao_das_Armas_Portugal.pdf and the original website (http:tinyurl.com/Livro-da-Nobreza-e-Perfeicao )
- c. 1516/19 Armorial Catalan @http://tinyurl.com/Armorial-Catalan
- El libro de la Cofradia de Santiago de Burgos, 14th-17th c. - http://www.alabarda.net/uniformes/esp/inf/santiago/santiago.htm